Update on the mi.1 MIDI Interface
I have written about the mi.1 before, which is a small MIDI cable that acts as a wireless bridge between your iPad (or MacBook, or iPhone, or iPod Touch). No external power is needed, and you can buy the device for $45 from Amazon.
The device has been updated so that if an iOS app uses the new iOS 8 Bluetooth MIDI code, you can connect your keyboard to your device without wires or any background app (which is what was previously required). You can also connect it to a Mac running Yosemite.
This would be the second device that I know of that will utilize the Bluetooth MIDI interface in iOS 8 and Yosemite. I do know know of many apps, other than GarageBand, that are using the standard at this point . Expect more apps and external devices all the time!
I don’t have a horse in this race, and I don’t make any money from a referral. There are a few things you need to consider:
- Make sure your device can use Bluetooth MIDI. Quicco Sound (which makes the mi.1) reminds you that you can use iOS devices running iOS 8, specifically: the iPhone (6 Plus, 6, 5s, 5c, 5, 4s), iPad(Air 2, Air, 4th gen, 3rd gen, mini 3, mini 2, mini), iPod touch(5th gen), and Macs running OS 10.10 (Yosemite)
- Some keyboards do not have the space on the back of the keyboard to allow the mi.1 to plug into the keyboard (see this document)
- You can connect the mi.1 using just the MIDI Out port
- This is NOT for USB MIDI. This is for the traditional round MIDI ports, which are still in use even after 30 years of MIDI (can you think of any other computing port that is still in use after 30 years?)
- Finally, not all keyboard MIDI ports are powered. This is a requirement for the mi.1 which has no power of its own. We own a Casio Privia PX350, and the mi.1 works fine with it. Quicco has started a list of compatibile and incompatible devices, which you can check here. I’m tempted to go to a music store this summer and just test out compatibility!
If the mi.1 doesn’t work for you, don’t worry. You can also check out the Zivix Puc.